- Experience of one Japan`s most iconic sights – the immense Snow Walls of the Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route!
- Enjoy the dramatic mountain landscape of the Chubu Sangaku National Park.
- Experience a unique variety of mountain transports to reach the summit of 2450 meters # Visit the iconic Kurobe Dam, an immense engineering feat and source of national pride
|Period||Every Wed. May 9 - Jun. 20|
|Destination||Ogisawa Kurobe Dam Daikanbo Murodo|
|Start / End||Nagano Station / Nagano Station|
|Operator||Snow Monkey Resorts|
Starting and ending in Nagano City, this tour takes you to the “Roof of Japan” and the fabled Snow Walls of the Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route. Situated in the dramatic alpine landscape of the Chubu Sangaku National Park, this is one of Japan’s most iconic and unique sights, accessible only in spring and early summer and via a series of different mountain transports. Led by an English-speaking guide, you will be accompanied on every leg of your journey to the Roof of Japan and back down again – the perfect way to experience one of Japan`s more remote and stunning landscapes.
08:30 Meet-up with your guide
Your English-speaking guide will meet you at JR Nagano Station at 08:30 (the guide will be waiting from 08:20 onward) and have you board the tour bus to begin your journey toward the fabled Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route.
10:00 Arrival at Ogisawa Station
Arriving at Ogisawa Station around 10:15 your guide will give you time to prepare for your ascent before boarding the Kanden Tunnel trolley bus at 11:00 – the first of a variety of mountain transports you will utilize to reach the summit.
11:30 Kurobe Dam
First stop is the Kurobe Dam. Constructed between 1956 and 1963, this immense structure require the labor of up to 10 million people and is Japan`s highest dam. A source of national pride and emblematic of man`s attempts to conquer nature, your guide will give you time to enjoy the beautiful views of the surrounding mountains, before starting the next leg of your journey toward the top.
11:50 Board the gondola and take the Tateyama Ropeway
The Tateyama Ropeway is a highlight of your adventure upwards. Spanning 1700 meters, you will be transported upward to the final stop of Daikanbo, before taking the final trolley bus to the final station, Murodo. At 2450 meters, this is Japan`s highest station – an isolated outpost in an inhospitable, dramatic landscape.
12:15 The last leg of the journey to the snow corridor is a ride on a trolley bus
Vast amounts of snow fall on the landscape each winter making it inaccessible until spring brings warming temperatures and the chance to carve a route through the ice. Rising up to 20 meters above, the stunning snow corridor is one of Japan`s most iconic sights dwarfing people and tours buses alike! Your guide will allow you between 1.5-2 hours to stroll the area (depending on the pace of your), including time to explore the museum and surrounding area.
14:15 Meet-up with your guide and start making your way back down
Your guide will collect you and begin the journey back down, descending back to Ogisawa where the tour bus will be waiting.
16:20 Arrival at Ogisawa Station.
Your driver and vehicle will be waiting for you here to take you back to Nagano.
18:30 Arrival at JR Nagano Station where the tour concludes.
The tour is scheduled to conclude at JR Nagano Station at 18:45*.
Nagano Station - At the Information Board across from the Shinkansen exit gates
- Transportation from Nagano Station to Ogisawa Station, and back to Nagano Station
- Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route ticket
- English-speaking guide
- Lunch and other snacks or drinks
- Shinkansen/Bullet train tickets
- Please wear suitable shoes for walking through snow and cold conditions (with the possibility of temperatures below 0°C)
- Please bring sunglasses as the snow in combination with sunlight can produce intense glare.
- This tour does not include lunch. Snacks can be purchased at different mountain stations with different restaurants to choose from at the summit.
- In case of extreme weather conditions, routes to the snow corridor might close. In such a case, the tour will be cancelled with full refund.
- The itinerary is based on the traffic conditions being optimal. We will adjust the schedule according to traffic conditions and pace of the group on the day of the tour.
- Infants (0-5) are free of charge.
- The tour application deadline is 1 day before the tour date at 17:00.